By the year 1892, the homestead land adjacent to Wetaskiwin had mostly been taken. The Swedish immigrants who responded to the enticing offer of a quarter-section of homestead land for ten dollars, settled an area to the south-east of Wetaskiwin, which came to be known as New Sweden. On March 11, 1894 some these pioneers gathered in the home of Claus H. Swanson to consider the need to organize and on May 26 of the same year the first board of the New Sweden Mission Church was set up, as well as a tentative constitution.
If only these logs could the story tell
How before the axe and the saw they fell,
To build for the Lord a meeting place
Where the people could hear of His love and grace.
The first three years, O, the peoples nerve
That another purpose this building serve,
For here was no schoolhouse far or near
To help us rightly the children rear.
So desks were made by the handy man
To serve both the school and the church's plan,
Until the day when the schoolhouse came,
And the children could occupy the same.
We travelled to church wit horses and sleigh,
And wagon or buggy on hot summer day.
We had lots of time both to sing and to talk,
So glad for the ride, it was better than walk.
Now now through the years the logs they could tell
Of joyous occasions and sorrow as well,
Of bride and of bridegroom, who started together,
Joining hearts and hand in all kinds of weather.
They also could tell of the young and the old
Carried out of the church so still and so cold,
Their souls went to glory for so it was best,
Though their bodies out in the graveyard do rest.
So young generation I pray you today,
Be faithful to God and walk in His way,
For the work in the future He's willing to do,
Can only be done if He is dwelling in you.
To God we give thanks, the praise and the glory,
For He alone has the whole story
Of the good and the bad, of the smiles and tears,
Of all that has happened these 75 years.
by Mrs. Sam Weaver
New Sweden Church was formally organized
First log church building completed in summer
Church building started to be used as district school
A sister church building was built in Malmo area
A Sunday School was established in Gwynne
A sister church building was built in Wetaskiwin
New Sweden added a basement and south addition
New Sweden and the Malmo church officially separated as the Malmo church hired their own pastor
New Sweden was part of starting Living Springs Bible Camp
New Sweden and the Wetaskiwin church officially separated as New Sweden church hired their own pastor
Hockey rink and ball field were added
The present church parsonage was added
The library addition was added on the south
The old building foyer was added
The church recreation building was completed
Ground was broken for the beginning of the new building
The first service was held in the new building in December
The new building dedication was held on April 3
Parsonage remodeled and updated
Church sign erected along highway 822
Despite some additions, the old building is exactly as it was built in 1896. The original logs, even though they are covered over, are still in the walls and the original window frames are still in place.